amazon

Friday 23 September 2011

Boss Distortion pt1


First Battle of the band that I joined was in “Hideout” and this was way back mid 90s in Roxas City, Capiz, Philippines.
I was not the original member of the group, I just jam with them.  I don’t have my gear that time.  What happened was, while they were rehearsing, I joined them and they were impressed on how I play the guitar.  So, they invited me to join the group as sessionist guitarist. We played “Black and Yellow Led Better” by Pearl Jam, and one original composition titled “Empty Bottle”, which sounds like a combination of Pearl Jam and STP.  I forgot the name of our band but it was founded by 4 young talented lads namely; Lenny, Lief John, Dinno Santi and Oliver.

The most interesting part that night was I don’t have an effects pedal.  Good thing my mate “Badong” got a cousin who happens to be joining the Battle of the bands and guess who it was, Barbie Almalbis.  We approached her to borrow a guitar effects and she’s very pretty and lend me “The Boss Distortion”.  That’s when this orange stomp box became famous.
By the way, we were second that night and we’re branded as Pearl Jam of Capiz.  Barbie Almalbis’ band rank 1st that night; and she’s Brilliant, from lead vocals to lead guitar.  She sang “Love Will Keep Us Alive, Ode To My Family and Zombie”, not quite sure about the last one.

By:  VRB

No comments:

Post a Comment